List of products by brand CAOL ILA DISTLLERY
The Caol Ila distillery is the largest on the island of Islay, with over 3 and a half million liters of which only a small part becomes single malt, around 5%, while the rest is an essential component for the great Bell blends , White Horse, Johnnie Walker and Black Bottle to which it gives salty notes.
Caol Ila is the Gaelic name for "Sound of Islay", the strait that separates the island of Islay from that of Jura.
The distillery, located on the coast of Sound, near Port Askaig in the north eastern tip of the island of Islay was founded by Hector Henderson in 1846.
Hector Henderson has chosen this particular place for access to those natural ingredients designed to allow the production of a very high quality single malt scotch whiskey.
These include Loch Nam Ban water and malted barley in Port Ellen.
Over time it has changed properties several times: it was bought in 1854 by Norman Buchanan, in 1863 by Bulloch Lade & Company and in 1920 by a group of businessmen who formed the "Caol Ila Distillery Company Ltd".
In 1930 the property passed to the Scottish Malt Distilleries.
Today the distillery belongs to the multinational Diageo group.
Despite the many changes in ownership, production has always been continuous, except for a brief period between 1930 and 1937 due to the effects of prohibition in the United States, which led to a worldwide crisis in the production of alcohol.
With the rebirth of interest in these whiskeys in the '70s it was decided to carry out a total renovation, which took place in 1972, in which the distillery was rebuilt from scratch and in which the stills became 6 in place of the previous two.
These new stills, built in a traditional way, however, reflected in their original form so as not to distort the quality and special characteristics of this great whiskey protagonist of Islay.